LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Navigating the path between high school and college can be challenging and overwhelming for both students and parents. In order to ease the transition, the University of Louisville is offering a series of workshops to assist with federal financial aid applications, as well as a daylong campus open house event.
During the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) completion workshops, staff from the university’s student financial aid office will walk student and parent participants through the process of filing the FAFSA. Changes to the FAFSA process, as announced by President Obama last September and in effect beginning with the 2017-18 application, include an earlier filing start date of October 1 (previously January 1); and a requirement to report income and tax information from an earlier tax year. A detailed overview of the changes from the Federal Student Aid office is available here.
The UofL-led workshops are free and students are not required to apply for admission to the university in order to participate. The workshops will take place on:
- Oct. 5, 5–7 p.m., Seneca High School, 3510 Goldsmith Ln., Louisville
- Oct. 6, 6–8 p.m., Oldham County High School, 1150 North Highway 393, Buckner
- Oct. 11, 5:30-7:30 p.m., Martha Layne Collins High School, 801 Discovery Blvd., Shelbyville
- Oct. 11, 6–8 p.m., Fern Creek High School, 9115 Fern Creek Rd., Louisville
- Oct. 13, 5– 8 p.m., Jeffersontown High School, 9600 Old Six Mile Ln., Louisville
- Oct. 15, 10 a.m. to noon, during Cardinal Preview Day at the University of Louisville (details follow)
- Oct. 20, 6-8 p.m., Southern High School, 8620 Preston Highway, Louisville
Cardinal Preview Day on Oct. 15 is open to anyone interested in learning more about attending UofL. Activities, including campus tours, workshops, information sessions and student panel discussions, take place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. A complete schedule is available here. Pre-registration is not required, although participants need to check in at the Swain Student Activities Center (SAC) West Plaza next to the George J. Howe Red Barn upon arrival. There is no cost for Cardinal Preview Day and parking is free at the Floyd Street parking garage, 2126 South Floyd St.
For more information about the workshops and FAFSA changes, contact Sandra Neel, 502-852-5517, firstname.lastname@example.org. Jenny Sawyer, 502-852-4957, email@example.com, is available to discuss Cardinal Preview Day activities.