The committee is charged to bring forward candidates to interview on campus during the spring semester. Ramsey expects to have someone in that post for the start of the 2011-12 academic year.
The EVPRI will oversee existing programs within the Office of the Executive Vice President for Research. He or she also will oversee the Nucleus and MetaCyte programs and will coordinate and serve as UofL’s liaison in a variety of community and economic development initiatives.
John Sauk, dean of the School of Dentistry, and Rob Keynton, chair of the Department of Bioengineering at Speed School of Engineering, will co-chair the committee.
Other committee members are:
- Roberto Bolli, Jewish Hospital Heart and Lung Institute Distinguished Chair in Cardiology
- Judy Bristow, director of grants management
- Mark Crain, research scientist, Speed Micro Fabrication Lab
- Travis Gault, graduate research assistant, Speed Computer Vision and Image Processing Lab
- Ed Glasscock, consultant to the University of Louisville Foundation
- Susan Griffin, chair, Department of English
- Dan Hall, vice president for community engagement
- David James, lieutenant, UofL Police Department
- Colleen Jonsson, professor, microbiology
- Jesse Roman, chair, Department of Medicine
- Joe Steffen, associate professor, biology; vice-chair, Faculty Senate
- Allan Tasman, chair, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
- Riaan Van Zyl, associate dean for research, Kent School of Social Work
- Andrew Williams, chair of the Commission on Diversity and Racial Equality
Ramsey also has appointed a committee to review the post of executive vice president for health affairs. Larry Cook, who has held that post since 2004, has announced he will step down June 30, 2011.
The committee will review the post and advise Ramsey on the traits, characteristics and attributes UofL should seek in the next EVPHA; the most effective way to find and recruit candidates exhibiting those traits; and any structural, organizational or personnel changes UofL should consider as part of the recruitment.
Ramsey expects to fill the EVPHA position by July 1, 2011.
Marcia Hern, School of Nursing dean, and Russ Prough, vice dean for research, School of Medicine, will serve as committee co-chairs. Other committee members are:
- Paula Bates, associate professor, oncology
- Brent Fryrear, program manager, Office of Vice President for Research; chair, Staff Senate
- David Hein, chair, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Faye Jones, associate dean of academic affairs, School of Medicine
- Brad Keller, Kosair Charities Chair in Pediatric Heart Surgery Research
- Melissa Laning, associate dean, University Libraries
- Kelly McMasters, chair, Department of Surgery
- Dean Morton, professor, Diagnostic Sciences, Prosthodontics and Restorative Dentistry
- David Tollerud, chair, Department of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences