LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The University of Louisville Equine Industry Program (EIP), with the support of Horse Racing Nation, has organized a free speaker series that focuses on the most current topics in the horse racing industry for Fall 2020. The series includes panel discussions on the new business model of horse racing and the shift to virtual business for Kentucky horse sales, as well as an interview with legendary jockey Pat Day.
“Our previous panels have focused mainly on the racetrack, however this year we have added a panel exploring the new dynamic occurring in Kentucky horse sales,” said Sean Beirne, director of the EIP. “The sales companies have shifted the way horse sales are conducted as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, completely changing the way horses are purchased and sold. We have a number of students who want to work as bloodstock agents upon graduation and this will give them insight as to how the business landscape is changing.”
For the third event, Beirne will interview Pat Day, a Hall of Fame jockey and Louisville celebrity. During his long career, Day won numerous riding titles at Churchill Downs and nine Triple Crown races, including the 1992 Kentucky Derby with Lil E Tee.
The events will be held monthly on Tuesdays from 5:30 – 6:45p.m., broadcast live on the Horse Racing Nation Facebook page.
Sept. 22 – “Racing’s Now Reality: Is it Sustainable?”
Is horse racing’s new operational model sustainable for the long run?
- Mike Penna (moderator) – Owner, Horse Racing Radio Network
- Chris Kotulak – CEO, Fonner Park
- Andrew Offerman – VP Racing Operations, Canterbury Park
- Terry Finley – Founder, West Point Thoroughbreds
- Jack Jeziorski – EVP, Monarch Content Management (subsidiary of the Stronach Group)
Oct. 13 – “Waiting for the Gavel to Fall: Kentucky Horse Sales Go High Tech”
What does a virtual environment mean for the Thoroughbred sales industry?
- Megan Devine (moderator) – 2014 EIP alumna, TV personality and founder of VidHorse
- Boyd Browning – President/CEO, Fasig Tipton
- Duncan or Mark Taylor – President or VP of Sales, Taylor Made Sales Agency
- David Ingordo – prominent bloodstock agent, Ingordo Bloodstock
Nov. 10 – “An Evening with Hall of Fame Jockey Pat Day”
Pat Day will recount his highs and lows both on and off the track, interviewed by Sean Beirne, EIP director.
For more information on the series, contact Liz Young at firstname.lastname@example.org, (502) 852-4865.