But often, the athletic prowess of a student-athlete overshadows his or her academic ability. That’s what Elaine Wise, University of Louisville faculty athletic representative, wants to change.
Wise recently shared some UofL student-athletes’ academic accomplishments from the spring 2011 semester — accomplishments she said are just as significant as on-field success — with the Faculty Senate.
Here are some of them:
- At 3.067, the student athlete cumulative GPA is the highest student-athlete semester GPA ever recorded at UofL.
- Of UofL’s 535 student-athletes, 311 earned a 3.0 or higher GPA. That’s a record number. They received recognition on the Athletic Director’s Honor Roll. Among them were 37 football players.
- Of UofL’s 19 sports teams, 13 had a 3.0 or higher GPA. That’s a record number.
- A record 199 student-athletes were Red and Black Scholars, earning a 3.25-plus cumulative GPA. They were invited to attend the annual Red and Black recognition banquet with their faculty mentors.
- Michael Eaton, men’s cross country; and Rachel Gehret, women’s track and field, were nominated for the prestigious NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship. Both were awarded. Read more
- Five student-athletes, Michael Eaton, men’s cross country; Nicole Youman, field hockey; Chris Philpott, football; Sara-Maude Juneau, women’s golf; and Austen Childs, men’s tennis, received Big East Sport Excellence Awards. They were in competition for the awards with the top student-athletes in every sport from all 16 Big East institutions. That’s a record number. Read more.
- Both the men’s basketball team and the women’s lacrosse team earned a 2010-11 Big East Conference Team Academic Excellence Award. The award is given in each of the 26 conference sports and recognizes the highest team cumulative GPA. Read more about men’s basketball. | Read more about women’s lacrosse.