UofL’s School of Music commences a busy 2018-19 season Friday with the annual Faculty Gala Concert.
The 8:15 p.m. concert features 28 UofL music faculty in performance, a pre-concert reception at the courtyard of the music building, and the premiere of the new lighting for the Music School’s iconic sculpture “Effervescence.”
For years, audiences streaming into Comstock Concert Hall for the Faculty Gala have been greeted to the sounds of bagpipes, and that tradition will continue.
“With an evening that begins with dessert, features bagpipers on the hillside welcoming the concert goers, a veritable host of music faculty performers, and a conclusion to the evening that features an outdoor light show and reception, this is going to be a special event, indeed,” said School of Music Dean Christopher Doane.
The concert is free and open to the public, but the wine and dessert reception is $20 and requires registration.
As usual, the Faculty Gala serves as the gateway into the School of Music’s jam-packed year of performances, which includes world-class visiting artists along with student and faculty performances. Most of these events are free and open to the public.
Check the calendar for a full list. Highlights include:
- Sept. 23, The Music eX Series, which benefits the piano program at UofL, begins the 2018-19 season with The Paul York and Dror Biran Duo performing the “Five Cello Sonatas of Ludwig van Beethoven.”
- Sept. 29, Friends of the School of Music 5k Walk/Run at Cherokee Park.
- Sept. 29, UofL Collegiate Chorale performs in Louisville Orchestra’s International Leonard Bernstein celebration.
- Oct. 31, University Symphony Orchestra performs Halloween Spooktacular.
- Nov. 6-10, New Music Festival, featuring guest composer Amy Williams. Dr. Williams is Associate Professor of Music Composition and Theory at the University of Pittsburgh.
- Nov. 30-Dec. 3, Clara’s Dream, the familiar story of “The Nutcracker” from the time that Clara starts dreaming of snow and the land of sweets.
The School of Music will also sponsor a series of free concerts at Redeemer Lutheran Church, 3640 River Park Drive, in West Louisville on weekends in September and October. This concert series is a part of the School of Music’s Signature Partnership outreach.