UofL Today purpose
UofL Today is the University of Louisville’s central employee newsletter for providing university-wide news and updates to all faculty and staff.
UofL Today is distributed digitally to faculty and staff inboxes Monday through Thursday. Approved submissions received before noon will be included in the next day’s UofL Today email. These emails are sent at 10 p.m. the night before the publication date. Submissions received after noon will be posted in the next available email. Please note that because the UofL Today newsletter email is only sent Monday through Thursday, if you have a Friday announcement, it would have to be included in the Thursday UofL Today and submitted before noon on Wednesday.
Faculty/Staff Notables, Employee Shoutouts and DYK
The Faculty/Staff Notables, Employee Shoutouts and the Did You Know section of UofL Today are editorial content, and are considered separate from the daily announcements. Information submitted for these sections is subject to approval by the editorial department based on merit, timeliness and relevancy. They are also edited heavily for brevity due to space constraints and therefore may not reflect AP guidelines. Examples of Faculty/Staff Notables include an award, a national recognition, inclusion in a national publication, a major grant, book publication, etc. Examples of Employee Shoutouts include praise for a co-worker who went above and beyond to make a helpful contribution to the university or their team. Did You Knows are interesting tidbits about UofL history, schools, programs, awards or honors that programs on campus have received, etc.
These are also subject to approval by the editorial department. Send your ideas for Faculty/Staff Notables, Employee Shoutouts and DYKs to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
Students do not receive UofL Today. Student-directed announcements are delivered to students through Student News postings, the SGA Email, and the Graduate Student newsletter. Submit an announcement to Student News or for the weekly SGA Email. UofL Today will not accept submissions in any way other than via the form. If you cannot access the form, please contact UofL Today.
Read this before you start
- Announcements may not exceed 500 characters.
- Announcements must be written with employee-centric language that makes it clear you are talking to faculty and staff (not students).
- Announcements must pertain to official university business or to university-sponsored activities for faculty and staff or for the entire university community. OCM reserves the right to reject announcements that do not meet this criteria and to recommend other communications vehicles for promotion.
- Study announcements must contain the IRB or other UofL approval number.
- UofL Today will only feature an announcement once per week. If you wish for your announcement to be featured for multiple weeks, you must resubmit the announcement each week to ensure it enters the publication schedule.
- UofL Today will not accept announcements that are:
- event descriptions (use the UofL Event Calendar to submit your events)
- student-oriented (see Student-directed Announcements)
- job postings
- business advertisements for non-university related products or services
- conferences, events or organizations not sponsored by or affiliated with the university
- messages directed to a limited audience (must apply to at least 50% of all faculty and staff)
- death notices or funeral information; exceptions will be made only for memorial services held on campus
Please Note: Announcements that do not meet the content guidelines will unfortunately have to be sent back to the submitter and will not be able to be featured in the next day’s newsletter.
- Never use exclamation marks in your headings or description text.
- Do not use @ unless it is part of an email address or part of an official title.
- Headings: Capitalize the first word and use lowercase for the others unless they are proper nouns or part of a title.
- Example: Submit feedback for the CARA Survey by Tuesday
- Capitalize the word campus when it is part of the campus name (i.e., Belknap Campus, Shelby Campus and HSC Campus)
- Use Health Sciences Center, not Health Sciences Campus or Health Sciences Center Campus.
- Don’t capitalize professor, associate professor, assistant professor, etc.
- Don’t capitalize a person’s title if it comes after his or her name.
- When you include a web link, copy it directly from the web instead of typing it.
- Put the most important information first. You have a limited space. Include a link or place for people to get more information, such as sponsors, rather than include them in your announcements.
OCM reserves the right to edit announcements so they are consistent and adhere to the editorial guidelines put forth by the office.
- Only university employees may submit announcements.
- Announcements must be written in one paragraph of no more than 500 characters including spaces. Do not indent the first line of your description text.
- Submitter information will not be included at the end of the announcement.
- Before clicking on “Submit,” double-check the accuracy of the information and the functionality of your links. By submitting your announcement you verify that your information is accurate and your links are functional. If our editing team happens to catch an inaccuracy or non-working link we may cancel your announcement; however, it is the primary responsibility of the submitter to ensure accuracy and functionality of their announcement.